Sunday, September 27, 2009

back in the saddle.....


We've heard that before!! This time I am serious about blogging. I am going to do it everyday. At least I am going to write tonight as I wait for a Stevie-special pizza (super thin crust with mushrooms, leeks, artichoke hearts & fresh basil) to come out of the oven. So here's the deal. I am going to quit complaining about my failure to do anything and blaming it on the world for not presenting me with enough opportunities, and I am going to begin taking advantage of all the amazing opportunities that are there.

Weekend one worked out beautifully! Tower Grove farmer's market on Saturday morning and a basket full of fixins' for ratatouille, sichuan braised pork (okay, I need to pick up a few specialty items from Global foods, but that will happen later this week), and BLT's. My favorite chair and the end of the Red Tent - did I mention that I was ready for it to be over, so much, in fact, that I think I only read the topic sentences of the last 50 pages?? A stroll through the dance festival on Grand until the sky opened up. Photos of an amazing rainbow from the car - me: "slow down, I need to get this" him: "this guy's right behind me!" me: "seriously, just pull over and let him pass".....is he really the only one in this relationship to use "!!" marks? Not likely, but that is the tenor of the conversation to the best of my recollection. Anyway, got some amazing photos, which we reviewed as we sat at the bar at 'scape while we waited for Liz and Robert to join us and drank a wonderful "old vine" garnacha - mmmm.

Liz an Robert arrived with books for Ready Readers and full of fun conversation. Can I just say that I LOVE LIZ?!!?!!!! Amazing swordfish...am I allowed to confess that?? 'scape is all organic and such...would they be serving a politically incorrect swordfish?? I don't think so. Anyway, that was my thought process in ordering it and, man, it was great! A little Israeli couscous and beurre blanc with some citrus hints....have I just revealed my lack of knowledge? Is a citrus hint essential to beurre blanc? Whatever. It was great. I should have stopped right there, but couldn't resist convincing everyone that a trip to the CupCakery was a required conclusion to our evening. Can I say I was right? I had the "island" special - really just a yellow cupcake with vanilla cream and coconut topping. Wow. Reminded me of all the lamb Easter cakes that were great, but disturbing because I wanted to eat the head, but didn't want to eat the head. Forget about that. Loved the cupcake.

Stevie went to the Rams loss....I mean game....today. I took the dogs for a march through the mud at Queeny Park, bought some beautiful red mums for the pot on my front porch, and went to a little local art fair at Francis Park with Peggy. Delightful! Perfect weather, nice sized crowd, and nothing I couldn't live without. Now I am waiting for the season premiere of Amazing Race. I know. Such a big, cheap weekend!! Stay tuned (as if!!), more to come!!

No comments: