Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Squirrel Acrobatics....
I am working on beginning a meditation practice. Hard to understand why setting aside fifteen or twenty minutes each day just to breathe and be still seems like such a challenge, but for me it is. I wake up, lie in bed and think "hey, rather than get up, I could just meditate right here. who makes the meditation rules anyway? lying here, I can count my breathes....zzzzzzzz." That's how it frequently works. Then there are the days when I do get up, devote my time to meditation and spend the greater part of it thinking.."how do I know if I'm doing this right? if I'm asking this, I'm probably not doing it right because aren't I supposed to not be thinking and clearly I'm thinking....how would I even know if I wasn't thinking if I couldn't think that? I'm clearly missing something...." But there have been a few times in my admittedly brief (okay, just about a week) practice, when I've felt (not thought, mind you) a loss of distinction between me and the world. I can't describe it, but it is just a glimmer of the sense of being that is what is bringing me back in the hopes of feeling that again. This morning was not the morning. BUT instead because I wasn't closing my eyes (like I think I'm supposed to) and was looking up to the window and out to the woods behind my house, I saw some AMAZING, EYE-POPPING, GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH type acrobatic moves from one amazing squirrel. He was LEAPING great distances from tree to tree, limb to limb - all in the same area, so it did not seem he was trying to get anywhere as much as he was celebrating the day and his ability to fly and being alive. So no, I didn't get a sense of oneness with the universe today, but I was reminded how everyday should be a celebration of the life we have been given. This meditation thing - I'm a fan.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment